My program is starting from September but I cannot submit a complete application for a study permit. What shall I do?

On 28 July 2020, IRCC has announced “Program delivery update: Two-stage assessment process for study permit applications, post-graduation work permit eligibility“.

IRCC has announced they will process complete study permit applications first. For those students who cannot submit a complete application yet IRCC will use a two-stage study permit application approval process (as a temporary measure), to provide a certain degree of reassurance to students who cannot provide all required documents or information yet.

If you send in your application on or before September 15, 2020 IRCC aims to process most applications before the fall semester through the First Stage, based on your eligibility.

After you submit your study permit application your online study period will count for your eligibility for a Post Graduate Work Permit later – as long as at least 50% of your program will be completed in Canada.

When you submit the remaining documents (such as biometrics, medical exam, police certificates) IRCC will assess your admissibility in the Second (and final) Stage. Once you receive final study permit approval you will be able to travel to Canada and begin your studies when the current travel restrictions lifted.

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students [C42]

If you are a full-time international student with a valid study permit, your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a spousal open work permit. Yet, there are some restrictions to when a spousal open work permit can be issued to the spouse of a student.

So, what is the restrictions? Let’s see “eligibility” posted in the IRCC website!

Applicants must provide evidence that they are the spouse or common-law partner of a study permit holder who is a full-time student at either:

a public post-secondary institution, such as:
– a college, trade/technical school, university, CEGEP in Quebec;

– a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and
regulations as a public post-secondary institution in Quebec;

– a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies or an attestation of vocational specialization;

– a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (for example, a bachelor’s degree, master’s or doctorate) but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution.

As you may have noticed, the spouses of many international students who are enrolled in private institutions are not eligible for a spousal open work permit.