Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students [C42]

If you are a full-time international student with a valid study permit, your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a spousal open work permit. Yet, there are some restrictions to when a spousal open work permit can be issued to the spouse of a student.

So, what is the restrictions? Let’s see “eligibility” posted in the IRCC website!

Applicants must provide evidence that they are the spouse or common-law partner of a study permit holder who is a full-time student at either:

a public post-secondary institution, such as:
– a college, trade/technical school, university, CEGEP in Quebec;

– a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and
regulations as a public post-secondary institution in Quebec;

– a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies or an attestation of vocational specialization;

– a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (for example, a bachelor’s degree, master’s or doctorate) but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution.

As you may have noticed, the spouses of many international students who are enrolled in private institutions are not eligible for a spousal open work permit.

Some citizens from Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania are eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Hello, international students from Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania.
Starting from May 01, 2017, some of citizens form Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania are eligible to apply for eTA. instead of a visitor visa (TRV). But please note that Brazilians, Bulgarians and Romanians who are not eligible to apply for an eTA or who are traveling to Canada by car, bus, train or boat, including a cruise ship, will still need a visitor visa (TRV). For more information, please visit IRCC web site.